Saturday, May 31, 2008

No Suffering

I ran across the phrase 'suffers from diabetes' the other day, and disliked it intensely.

I don't suffer from diabetes. I'm annoyed by it, stressed by it, occasionally pained by it or maid sick by it.

Suffering brings to mind children in war torn countries to me, or slow painful death or torture. Suffering is not having to watch my carbs, poke my finger, worry for my future. Worry and fear don't mean I am suffering.

Worry is part of life, in my opinion. I can't escape it, in any case. If I wasn't worrying about diabetes, I'd be worrying about other things.

I'm not suffering. I've got a good life, and far more positives in it than negatives. I'm never going to accuse anyone else of suffering this disease either.

We aren't suffering it, or defined by it, or submerged beneath it.

We're all just living it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great point, Laura.

One of my pet peeves is the increasing lack of clarity by reporters in the news media, and also the (often incorrect) use of "trendy" words, and the misuse of others.

"Suffers" creates an inaccurate mental image when used to describe people who may be doing quite nicely managing a chronic condition. But "John has diabetes" doesn't carry the same emotion-grasping, pity-inducing sense of urgency and doom as "John suffers from diabetes."

I have many cutting edge tools available to me that help keep my sugars as close to normal as possible. My A1cs are good, I enjoy a very wide variety of delicious foods, I travel, and try everyday to enjoy life as best I can.

If this is called "suffering," then how would we properly describe the emaciated, ketone-filled existence of a T1 diabetic on a near-starvation diet before the discovery of insulin in 1922?

Again, you make a great point.

Anonymous said...

totally agree! I hate it when I see the word 'suffering from' in the news. It's a cruddy disease, but I know it could be way worse. If this (the T1) is what I have to deal with, I can live with it (as irritating and frustrating as it can be)! It's all about keeping it in perspective.

Laura Williams said...

I think it scares people too. Diabetes diagnosis can be overwelming if someone thinks they're going to start 'suffering', where as it should be presented as a challenge, in my view, and a big focus on the positives - like staying healthier by being more aware of your body.