Saturday, May 10, 2008

Busy Days and Bad Numbers

We've an imminent deadline at work, and it's been 12 hour days trying to make it. As the week has gone on, I've been eating more and more meals at work. It's great that work orders in lunch and buys groceries for us, but the convenience food that's often at hand is not good for my sugars.

Pizza, granola bars, toast, waffles - all right there and easy to eat one handed without stopping work. Plus I've been tending to reward myself when we hit a big milestone - a cookie here, a cupcake there, dark chocolate now and then.

I didn't realize how mindlessly I've been eating the last couple of days until I hit a blood sugar of 8.5 today - 153. For me, that's really high - I'm usually never over 7 (126) at the most - and I've been seeing that number more than I've wanted to in the last week too. I have a feeling I've been higher than that too - I haven't exactly been testing at an hour and a half after a meal. Sometimes I've been hard pressed to even remember when I last ate.

It's so easy to get into bad habits and ignore what you're eating when you're distracted and busy. Tomorrow I'm going to be trying to pay more attention and get back into a normal eating cycle. Those high numbers are not going to be sticking around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura -- I'm also guilty of getting too caught up in things and forgetting to test when I need to.

I think my pump has an alarm that can be set to beep at X number of hours after a meal bolus. I need to check into that so I won't forget to test.

Laura Williams said...

I'd love to have a feature on my blood meter to quick set an alarm for "1.5 hours from now". They have them on cellphones, why not meters? It'd sure help!