Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Zeer - Food Reviews

I ran across Zeer.com recently. It's a food review site currently in Beta. It looks like a combination of food review site / social network. You can add friends, post reviews, rate products and join communities.

It caught my eye because one of the communities they have is 'diabetes'. The idea of reading reviews of products by diabetics appeals to me - it's one reason I like blogs like Glucoholic. Anyone in the diabetes group can classify their review as belonging to the group, so they aren't forcing any constraints on what products are 'diabetic', which I like.

It's a beta site, so obviously it's in early stages. I think it needs to grow a bit to become really useful - there are only three reviews in the diabetes section as of today, including one on a persimmon has no nutritional information and reads, in it's entirety 'no sugar'. If the community grows and more useful reviews are posted, I can see it being a strong resource.

The biggest problem I have on the site right now is finding products. They have a huge database of items, and a number of ways to search them. It's really easy to find a product if you know the brand and product name. I found a few specific products really easily, as well as finding they don't have my local brand of Omega 3 milk.

However for non specific searches you can get thousands of results. For example, a search for all products that have less than 5% of the daily recommended allowance for carbs returns over 4000 pages of results! I could add additional search terms, but I'd rather browse through the list.

I'd love to see 'drill down' links on search results that allow you to refine your searches quickly without having to remember the name and brand of various products. I'd also love to be able to limit by location - there are a ton of brands available in the States that aren't in Canada, and vice versa.

I think they'll need to provide a little more information for consumers as well. From a programmers standpoint I can see why searches for carbohydrates and other nutrients are done in Recommended Daily Amounts, but I have no idea what the rda for carbohydrate is, so the carb search isn't that useful for me. A link to a table of data would really improve this feature. I did try searching for items with 100% of my daily rda for carbs - but this gave me Kibbles 'n Bits with an carb count of 0. I'm not ready to go no-carb!

I'd also love to search on an ingredient level - so I could load up all products sweetened with splenda, or avoid all the ones using asparatame. They have an ingredients search box in their advanced search, but I couldn't make it work.

For a beta, I think it's a pretty good site with a lot of potential. I'll keep checking back to see if the diabetic section is growing, or if they add more tools for finding products. It's still early days so there is a ton of room for them to expand and improve.

3 comments:

Shannon B. said...

I got your email about this blog post - thanks for letting us know. It's really well written and helpful to get your perspective as a Diabetic, and be assured, we totally want to help you get better product information and find out about products that mean something to you.

About the three reviews in the diabetic community -- one problem with having a community where you do not have any say in what people share and write is that we can't control if it's helpful or not. We can only remove reviews if they violate our terms of service (if they're offensive, racist, etc) We can't delete reviews simply because we think might be poorly written, that would be unfair (since everyone has their right to express themselves as they see fit). For this reason, we added the up/down arrows so that everyone who joins Zeer gets a vote on what content is well written and helpful. If you see a review like the "No Sugar" one that you don't like, definitely thumb it down! Zeer voting is anonymous and your vote will help content on Zeer stay fresh, innovative and most of all helpful to you and your community.

Location of food products is something that we're very interested in. There are so many products in this world (and on our site) and it would be nice to find out where they are available. I think this is something that we'll add in the future. The hard part is gathering all that data. I have a feeling we'll have to depend on Zeers and businesses to update their listings with this information -- which I think could be tons of fun for users, personally (Yelp uses this strategy on their reviews, too) :D Regardless, I totally see the value of this request and would love to pursue down the line.

I totally agree with you that we need to help users understand how to refine their search results and also more about RDA and nutrition in general. This is a usability issue and will be looked into soon!

You mentioned that you wanted to search through ingredients, well you can! I did a search for splenda in our ingredients field on advanced search and pulled up over 1,000 results.

http://www.zeer.com/search/AdvancedSearchResults.external?sp=X&sp=X&sp=X&sp=Ssplenda&sp=X&sp=X&sp=X&sp=X&sp=X&sp=X&sp=X&sp=X&sp=X&sp=X&sp=X&sp=X&sp=X&sp=X&sp=X&state:search/AdvancedSearch=ZH4sIAAAAAAAAAG2PQUoDQRRESyEIamKiCIoKOUEOEd1kYRBcCO6%2BPT89bTrd7Z%2BejNmIB%2FEIXsWlx9ADuHImkyCM2davevXr%2FQutogfgANhlrUdu4ocmZoLeI81pYMnpwdB7y%2BQ%2B%2BvL6%2BfbzvY2te7TmZHN%2BDig6wN7M2Ok6%2BoSXkle0S2DGJCod04xDVdKJwjzO4yanXzTUyu9FkzOqcekC7VD%2B8w9UbthPyZLdEJj6LGVpHM6B00DCLt6IT3IVLymy9rKoXo44XKn9lWw4W7LqWXckzjgdlpK2eWTXwJ8BJyo1NtlIP17Tb%2FMH9VfQBy7qguty4oRUzIXlijMlJkTjXSiOgG5tGTktnJhyQMROFiy7hH4BA03e%2FdMBAAA%3D

Hopefully in the redesign of our advanced search feature, this will pop out a little more for you and our users. There's so much there, it's easy to over look a field or two, I think.

As for growing the diabetic section, it's people like you who will help Zeer grow, people are generally shy about being the first to write a discussion or review. Perhaps you'll be willing to jump in and start the conversation. I hope you will, you're obviously very intelligent, tapped into the Diabetic world and their needs. We'd love to have you talk about it and inspire other diabetic users (Who might be struggling with Zeer) to help us figure out how to cater to you :D

Thanks so much for all the wonderful feedback. It really helps in figuring out what is Zeer's next big step.

See you on Zeer!
Shannon B.
Community Manager

Shannon B. said...

Darn! The Link got cut off, well if you go to advanced search and type "Splenda" into the ingredients field, you'll find all the products with Splenda in them :D

Laura Williams said...

Thanks for taking the time to respond here, I really appreciate it!

I definitely understand that you can't censor reviews - I think once you have a larger bulk of reviews the excellent ones will rise to the top - that will simply take time.

I'm not sure why the ingredients search wasn't working for me yesterday, but today it is functioning, so perhaps I was doing something wrong. I'll have to take some time and browse through all those splenda products.

I'll see what I can do fill in more reviews on Zeer as well. :D