Sunday, May 4, 2008

Swedish Nutrional Labels

I'm pretty used to reading Canadian/American nutritional labels. Reading ones from other countries throws me now and then. I ran across these 'My Smoothie' juice boxes from Sweden and did a quick skim of the label - 12.7 carbs! Huzzah! Juice I could enjoy!

I really should have considered how they managed to put in all that fruit with so few carbs, but I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. When I went to drink it, I did a second check of the label. And noticed a tiny little detail I'd missed on the first round. The label reads "Nutrition per" in three languages, then adds "100 ml". The box was 250 ml, so a serving was less than half a box.

I'm extra careful with liquids because they cause such dramatic spikes. So I dutifully measured out 100 ml, as shown below. The juice isn't bad - it'd be better mixed with some yogurt for a proper (in my eyes) smoothie taste. But I really need to remember to check foreign labels a little more carefully in future. It's small packages that cause me the most trouble - I can't help assuming that entire container is a serving.

My Smoothie Juice Box with Nutritional Label

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura. It's so easy to be tripped up by serving size info, isn't it?

Laura Williams said...

Yep. The only time it's dead easy is when I get those 100 calorie packs.