Thursday, May 29, 2008

Off Plan Day

Today was fairly momentous. My husband is now officially a Permanent Resident of Canada. We've been married since August of '06 and filed for his residency in April '07. So it's been a long road to get today. Now he can work, get health insurance, and we don't have to renew his visa every six months. I think it's still sinking in.

I was going to not blog about it initially, because talking about today would mean talking about what I ate today. I have no idea how many carbs I've had today, but it's been more than I "should". I don't like admitting when I've blown my diet completely out of the water.

But I'm going to. Consider the rest of this post my 'carb confessional'. I'm not perfect. Today I was far from it. But I'm trying hard to not say I 'cheated'. Instead, today is just a little bit 'off plan', as Jenny of Blood Sugar 101 says. I'm going to enjoy this day, with as little guilt as possible.

On with the confession: feel free to skip these carb ramblings.

I had not one but two Chinese custard buns for lunch. White bread, sugar, custard and some mysterious crumbled topping. And I had TWO, double my usual dosage.

I did skip out on snacks the rest of the afternoon - I think. It kind of went by in a blur, with the sleepless night catching up with me. But I stuck with green tea. I was 7.6 (137) two or so hours after the second bun.

Then we went out to celebrate. I had every intention of having the baked potato and apple crisp for dessert. We went to Montana's, who have really excellent huge baked potatoes. I found out for the first time that they'll put cheese on your baked potato! Yum, yum yum. I surprised myself here - I had only a quarter of the baked potato - usually I scarf down half of one. I had wine instead of a fruity drink. I only stole a few bites of my husband's corn bread. And I skipped dessert - at the restaurant.

I thought that'd be the end of it, but we ended up going out for an emergency monitor replacement. In our house, a broken monitor is a crisis to match a broken car - or perhaps worse! So out we went. I bought some dark mint chocolate to try later, stocked up on my secret indulgence of sweettarts candies. If I have them in the house, it's (usually) easier to not go overboard on them.

Then we went to Tim Hortons, and I had a cheese croissant. Another favorite food that I don't eat often. It vanished very quickly. I had tested before we left at least, so I knew I was around 5.6 (101).

Finally, at my husbands urging I had a small scoop of carmilk ice cream. Very very tasty.

I suppose all in all, that's not that bad. I could have done far worse. I did pull back a little bit. And I feel pretty good. I can live with not being perfect - and there's always tomorrow to get back 'on plan'.

2 comments:

Lora said...

Everyone has an off-plan day. I used to beat myself up about it, but then I decided I'd just enjoy it and what I ate, because I knew I'd be back on-plan the next day. And it doesn't sound like you went whole-hog, either. I'd have eaten the whole baked potato! With cheese!

Laura Williams said...

Montana's has just HUGE baked potatoes - usually twice the size of a regular one. I don't think I could handle a whole one anymore! :D