Thursday, May 15, 2008

Testing At Work

I decided to start being a little less discrete about testing at work. I'm not making a big statement about it, but I'm not leaving the room to do it. If I'm in the middle of a test and someone comes up, I don't stop. We've got a new part-time staff member sitting right beside me, and he's watched me test a couple times now. I usually do it in my lap but it's pretty obvious to the people on either side of me.

I've gotten a few surprised looks, but no one has said anything. I'll admit that one complaint and I might have gone back to trying to be incredibly discreet about it, but it doesn' t look like it's going to be a problem.

I'm more surprised that I haven't gotten any questions. I think most people in the office know I have diabetes or prediabetes. Some of them hear more about it from me than others, but I'm always willing to talk about it. I think in the long run, being more open will make it easier to manage, because I can just pull out my meter and test when I need to without disrupting my work flow a lot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura.

I like that way of thinking about testing. People usually become used to it, and I see it as no different than wearing glasses to treat poor vision, or taking pills for any other condition.

You've been tagged. Go over to my site if you're up for it to see what this is all about.

Enjoy the weekend!

Laura Williams said...

Thanks for the tag Jeff.

It'll be good to have people used to it. I had to laugh the other day when the girl who sits farthest away from me asked with surprise 'You have diabetes?!'. I think she was the only one who didn't know.