Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Living with a Carbavore

My husband is adopted so we don't know his medical history. We're pretty sure there isn't any diabetes in though - he eats a ton of carb and never has elevated sugars. He's from the south - Georgia, and was raised always having a couple of starches with his meals. Supper is usually not complete without some kind of bread - in addition to potatoes and rice.

It means we have a lot of carbs around the house. Potato chips, bread and buns, ice cream and crackers. Sometimes it is a lot of temptation, but we work it out. We share a lot, so that I can have a little bit of something, and he'll finish it off. That works great for cinnamon buns. Or he'll buy things in flavors I just won't go near, like smoky bbq chips. It's pretty automatic to him now to not give me carbs or to give me a small portion when he's putting together our plates. He knows how many mini potatoes (4), how much rice (1/4 cup) and how much bread (1 slice) to give me on the nights I'm having some.

I'm still in charge of what and how much I eat of course, and we've got a good rhythmn of checking in with each other on that. There are days I wish I could just pass it all on to him of course, but I need to be responsible for my own health.

All in all it works pretty well.

No comments: