Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Words to live by

A post today over at Diabetes Mine inspired my topic today. She wrote about mantras and best advice. It made me think about the phrases that bring inspiration to me.

A big one has always been This too shall pass. No matter what situation I'm in, no matter how scary or sad or painful, I can hold to that one. Sooner or later, whatever it is is going to get easier. It'll resolve itself, I'll learn to deal with it, I'll heal, or a new opportunity will appear. I've yet to be proven wrong with this one.

For diabetes, this means I remember on the days that I am frustrated and tired that there will be days where it breezes by. I hold hope for new treatments and devices to make life easier, and an eventual cure.

The second thing is less a phrase than a concept - that of a 'big picture' or 'fate'. It's hard to see the silver lining when you're in a bad patch. I try and remember that. I know it's going through a bad first marriage that makes me aware and committed to my second one. Getting diagnosed with and treated for pre diabetes helped me drop the weight I couldn't lose. Early detection is going to save me from a lot of potential complications.

I don't believe that life is meant to be free of challenges and low spots. It's what you learn and grow from. Of course, I'm not turning down any sunny days that come my way either.

No comments: