Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Breakfast makes a difference

Work has once again gob smacked me, so I'm feeling very behind on my email and blogging and reading. I keep thinking it'll settle down, but somehow it flares back up again. But at least I'm feeling competent and useful and skilled, which all make me feel good.

The continuing appearance of numbers in the high 4 range (85-90) isn't hurting either. I need to get some more iTest strips and run some comparisons - I lost the 4's when I switched to the iTest, but I'm pretty sure the freestyle I'm using now is just as accurate.

So I'm pretty sure these results are not due to meter changes, hormones, or a decrease in caffeine. I think it's breakfast.

I've always been a solid breakfast eater. I don't feel awake until I've put food in my mouth, and I've always been wary of compromising on breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day, right? It's also been my most carb heavy: oatmeal and oatbran have been my staples the last few years. 1/4 cup of that plus some milk gets me about 40 carbs for breakfast.

Over the last few weeks, partially due to the fact that I am REALLY tired of oatmeal, I switched to a single slice of whole wheat toast, slathered (and I mean slathered!) with cream cheese and a tiny smear of jam. I find I end up wanting my mid-morning snack a bit earlier, but it keeps me going pretty well.

And, at the end of the day, say 3-6 pm.. I'm getting lower numbers. I don't notice lower ones in the morning, which boggles me. But I'm definitely seeing a trend to lower numbers in the afternoon that appears to have nothing to do with what I'm having for lunch or afternoon nibble.

I don't understand it, but I like it. Looks like we'll be buying lots of cream cheese in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura. Breakfast has always been the most important meal for me. I never feel right if I don't have something to eat early in the morning. Fasting labs really kill me.

Enjoy your slathered cream cheese!

Laura Williams said...

Thanks Jeff. I never understand how my husband gets through the morning without breakfast - a glass of pop is all he wants, sometimes for the whole day!