Monday, April 21, 2008

Stuttering

Apparently when I was very young, four or five, I used to stutter. I don't remember doing it at all, but in the last year or so it's come back.

When I'm tired, or stressed, or need to eat I start to feel this chattery teeth sensation. Then I'm forcing myself to slow down to get words out. It's really disconcerting, because I can be one of those mile-a-minute talkers. Not being able to get words out, or not being able to get past repeating a single word or syllable is another is scary scary.

Of course the big part of the fear is that I'm once again out of control. So far I haven't been unable to get words out at work, but today I wasn't feeling well and I had to slow my speaking down to keep talking.

I've tried looking up any tie between diabetes and stuttering, and come up empty. I'm guessing that it's just co-incidence that it's come back so soon after my diagnosis and medication. It's definitely one of the strangest and scariest changes I've had in the last couple of years.

No comments: