Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A1C's Should Make Sense

At the end of last year, I was in the zone. I ate my meter. I stuck to 150 gms of carbs a day. I exercised semi-regularly. I did all the stuff I was supposed to do. And my A1C went UP. From 5 the year before to a 6.

This freaked me out. My meter averages had me expecting an A1C in the low fives. After that, I pretty much stopped testing. Between the holidays, finding a new job, moving, my diet was out the window.

We made dozens of cookies for Christmas. With sugar, not splenda. I ate bread, muffins, and, on the many long car trips, potato chips. We ate out every night for weeks. And of course I started putting on the weight, which is always a danger sign.

I was worried about getting my A1C back after those months of reckless eating. What number do I get today? 5.5!

I have no idea if it's the reduced stress or if my meter is less than precise, or what. I was expecting to leave the doc's today with some plans for getting my A1C under 7. Instead, I'm trying to remember what I was doing back then. I sure wasn't food logging. I'm still not testing, but in the last month or so, I've been back to a reduced carb diet.

But I guess I can relax a bit with the carbs. I'm still going to try and lose those holiday pounds, but I'm really not sure what else to do to keep this level steady. And for now, bask in that pretty number.

So, so weird.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura.

Congrats on the 5.5%, even if it's a mystery as to how you got there!

Last year, I wrote a short piece on my site about a newly established standard for A1c tests. Do you think it's possible that the lab has switched over to using the newer, more accurate numbers?

Regardless of the calibration, 5.5 is a fantastic number.

Laura Williams said...

Hey Jeff.

Is this one you mean? New A1c standards coming to an endo near you.. I'd heard of that, but had completely forgotten. My Dr certainly didn't mention anything about using a new standard. I'm not really sure if it's made it's way up to Canada or not.

I'm very pleased with the 5.5 number though. As a pre-diabetic, I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to maintain non-diabetic A1Cs, and that is always the goal I set for myself.