Saturday, April 5, 2008

Sobey's Mini Desserts

We went to our local Sobeys (Grocery Store Chain) today, trying to find something to sooth my sweet tooth without skyrocketing my sugars. We usually go on weekday evenings when the bakery section is a little bare, but it was fully stocked today.

They have an entire section they call 'Assorted Pastries', which is filled with twenty or thirty itty bitty desserts. Chocolate things, mini tarts, cakes.. I was too busy trying to pick out a couple to really register what the complete selection was.



At 50 cents each, I was able to pick up a miniature butter tart (always a favorite), and a mini roll cake, shown here with a quarter for size comparision. The pastry on the butter tart was a bit bland for me, but the filling with one or two raisens was great.

The roll cake is the sort of thing I never buy, because even one slice is way too much and who's going to eat the rest of the cake for me? This one was very sweet, with tons of icing and took about four bites to eat. It was just perfect in size. I wouldn't have wanted any more, and it definitely satisfied the sweet tooth.

We'll have to go back on weekends now, so I can continue to sample selections now and then. For me, this is a much better option than a chocolate bar, or a cake that I'd have to slowly eat over a week before throwing out the remainder.

Major Yays for appropriately sized sweets!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look great, Laura. I saw the quarter in the photo before reading your post and thought the size was just about right. It makes a lot more sense than having a whole cake sitting around the kitchen for days and days.

I'm curious. Does Sobeys provide any carbohydrate info for people who count carbs?

Laura Williams said...

Most of the in-store brand things in the bakery that are pre packaged have a nutritional label. The stuff that comes from the 'counter', like those desserts, does not.

I didn't ask at the counter, but I'd assume that the only way to get that information would be to email or snailmail Sobey's corporate office.