Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Counting the Cost

Will at Life After Dx posted a vision today:
A dollar bill with a test strip taped to it. A dollar bill with a test strip taped to it and a sticky note that says "I pay one dollar per strip. I need six strips a day to stay healthy and in control of my diabetes. Can you spare me two grand?"

I pictured hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of envelopes piling up on someone’s desk. But whose desk? Who can help us?

I think this sort of thing could be hugely powerful in showing the financial costs of diabetes, though I'm not sure who's desk it should end up on. As a general awareness campain, something directed at a politician, to insurance agents? I can see this on billboards or posters, but I don't know if that's going to reach the right people.

I'm going to be watching this discussion and see where it goes, but I hope that he can find a way to use this idea and pass on the message.

We don't use dollar bills up here in Canada, but here's my version, to show my support:


I hope others will head over to Life After Dx and join the discussion.

No comments: