Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Hungry Days

I am having one of my hungry days. They usually happen on weekends, so I've been blaming them on the lack of my usual breakfast. I count on those weekend breaks to avoid being too bored with my repetitive breakfast.

However, I ate my breakfast today, and I'm still hippo hungry. I had breakfast. I had a snack. And another. And another. Let's all pretend they were low-carb snacks. I feel like I could go out and eat a cow. (Medium rare, with baked potato.)

Lunch just arrived and my stomach is growling.

I hate these days because I've never figured out how to turn it off. I eat carbs. No luck. I eat protein. No go. I eat fatty foods. Nope.

I'm not doing anything unusual today. No extra exercise, no extra stress. No changes in schedule, no trouble sleeping. Just rampaging, insatiable hunger.

I'm going with my backup plan after lunch: lots of water and gum. There's sure no need for me to eat anything more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura. Does gum really help whisk away your hunger pangs? I always found it to make me even more hungry.

As for snacks, a rice cake or two helps tide me over once I've finished eating all the cardboard in the house. ;^)

Laura Williams said...

Gum doesn't help with the hunger, it's more, I have something in my mouth and I'm chewing so I can pretend I'm eating. If I'm chewing gum, I can't nibble.

I have yet to find any way to make rice cakes edible. We have rice cakes and rice chips at the office and even dill pickle salt cannot save them.

..M.. said...

I have many days like this, I totally understand how you feel. For me it's often hormonal, and I always get at least one day like this a month.

Sometimes it just happens for no obvious reason though... I've assumed it's some sort of hormone change again but I really don't know.

I used to fight it but then the hunger took over my entire day, (ALL day) some days I'd end up having a massive uncontrolled pig out when I finally caved, some days I was strong and survived to see another day without screwing up my blood sugar. I don't fight it any more - I just roll with it. I bake something naughty, keep my insulin pen on hand, and go wild. No harm done :)

Doesn't it absolutely positively suck to be needing food so badly? And it feels bad on so many other levels too! But it does feel a lot better to roll with it rather than fighting it.

Laura Williams said...

No insulin for me. Strange thing is, I -finally- tested today, thinking the number would be hideous, and it's 6.2 (112) or 7.1 (128) according to the itest.

That's considerably lower than I was expecting, so at least there's something good in this.