Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Jelly Straws

Jelly Straws Packaging

The import foods aisle at the Real Canadian Superstore is always filled with strange and interesting things. Most of it eye with astonishment and skepticism. Dried Squid? Corned Mutton? Wasabi Peas? Grass Jelly (Jello)? No thank you.

I do run across something I like now and then though. Jelly straws are now a staple snack in our house. It's a pretty simple product - assorted flavors of Gelatin in a tube. We don't have Jello in our house much, as it seems impossible to find sugar and aspartame free varieties, at least up here in Canada. These are a great alternative.

Each straw is only 4 carbs, so they're a great quick sweet snack. I find the flavoring fairly subtle - each pack has a mix of grape, pineapple, lychee, apple and strawberry. I wouldn't recommend them for lunches because I've never been able to get a tube open without scissors.

Gelatin has always been a treat for me - I never had it much growing up, so I appreciate being able to have it anytime I want.

3 comments:

Ian said...

I recommend freezing them, they get a lovely sorbet-and-gelatin texture. As a bonus, they're entirely vegan/vegetarian--not made with actual gelatin, but when an asian seaweed-derived coagulant called kanten (also agar-agar) which is actually good for you. To open without scissors--try biting from one edge at the top, then tearing sideways--usually works for me.

Anonymous said...

wasabi peas are really good same with dried squid.
wasabi peas are yummy if you enjoy spicy food or the taste of wasabi in general
as for dried squid, it has this distinct processed flavor to it, and does not taste like squid at all :)
as for grassy jello... ew lol XD

Anonymous said...

its so hard to open them without all the juices squirting out!