Thursday, April 17, 2008

Brownies & Bad Moods

Alright, brownies are on the 'eat less of' list, but it's been a while, and they looked delicious.

I was careful. I only ate half my multigrain burger bun at lunch. I waited a couple hours to let it digest.

Then I had a small brownie. Not tiny, but within what I can usually handle for a brownie. I was quick to regret it. It was small, but sweet, and very lacking in that chocolate fudge flavor that was the entire point of eating it.

Then I started feeling that sugar rush. The fatigue, the swirling stomach, the fuzzy head and lack of focus. It always makes me just want to curl up somewhere until it passes - not really possible at work. I have no idea how much sugar that baker used but it has to be considerably more than the average brownie to get that reaction.

For some reason, the sugar rush never seems quite reflected in my sugar levels - I tested at 7.7 (139), which is high for me - I try to stay under 6.5 (117), but it's not hugely over.

Fries, I will note, can easily raise me to 9 (162) with no adverse reaction. It takes sugar to screw me up.

Usually I figure once the sugar rush is past, the worst is over. But I'm very slowly starting to clue in to a secondary reaction: the sudden bad mood, five or six hours later. There's such a huge time frame between the sugar rush and the bad mood it's taken me a long time to connect that they're related.

Especially since, once again, it's not reflected by my blood sugars. I'm holding at a stubborn 6.0 (108), even though aside from some roast beef I've barely eaten in 5 hours. Not a bad number, but it means I have to be careful what I eat if I don't want to get past 6.5 again today.

I still haven't figured out how accurately judge what's going to give me a sugar rush. I'm glad I've figured out that sugar rush means an oncoming bad mood later - and my husband will certainly appreciate the warning - but I feel foolish for taking so long to clue in. I need to remember that even if my meter isn't showing crazy numbers, what I eat can be affecting me in a lot of other ways.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura.

It's always interesting to take note of how our blood sugar level affects our moods. Thanks for describing your brownie experience.

Fries put me into the stratosphere for some reason, so I try to limit myself to no more than a few.

Laura Williams said...

Fries are the worst temptation for me because without my meter, I'd have no way to tell how damaging they really are for me.

It's strange I always thought it'd be sweets I'd miss most, but it's really those salty starches.