Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Salad Day

Wednesday is now 'Salad Day' at work. Instead of ordering in burgers or pizza or sushi or other food, we make salad for lunch.

I love ordering in lunch. I don't have to worry about having leftovers or making a lunch in the mornings. We save money on groceries because work buys it. And I get to eat a variety of things.

Most of those things aren't very good for me. If everyone's eating pizza and I'm eating carrot sticks, I feel deprived. It's really hard to make good choices day after day, and I've completely fallen off the 'lots of veggies' lunch wagon.

Instead, since I know I'm eating something carby, I try to reduce my portions, or order something that is easily adjusted to be lower-carb. Only part of my burger bun, only a few bites of noodles, only 3/4 of my pizza. It's becoming habit, and I think it's a reasonable way to handle things - unless I get a nasty A1C.

Even though I'm being more consistent with dealing with high-carb lunches, I'm happy we have salad day too. If everyone is eating salad and veggies and cold cuts for lunch, I don't feel deprived. And I know that at least one day a week I'm eating like I should!

No comments: