Thursday, June 26, 2008

When to say something

I try not to talk about other people too much on this blog. Even if I don't use names I don't like to discuss people where they aren't aware of it. But I had a conversation the other day that I do want to bring up.

Someone I know commented to me that their doctor was very surprised they didn't have diabetes, given their weight gain over the past couple of years. I nodded along - after all, not everyone gains weight because of diabetes.

I asked what test they'd been given, ready for complaints about that awful orange drink they give you on a glucose tolerance test. And then I hear they were just given a fasting glucose test.

I stared blankly for a moment, then commented "I don't like your doctor". Who diagnoses diabetes based on fasting levels! I tried explaining that the 2 hour test was supposed to be the standard. And that often, by the time the fasting levels are elevated, you've already got a damaged pancreas.

Unfortunatly I don't think they were interested in listening. I'm going to try and lend out my copy of Blood Sugar 101 - perhaps that will make a difference.

It's not my body, it's not my health. But I have to try and pass on some kind of information here!

No comments: