Monday, March 31, 2008

Sating the Cravings

A post at Ride to Remedy got me thinking today.

Someone very helpfully brought in a bunch of lindt easter bunnies at work. They were on sale after easter and I ate way more than I should have. I've been wondering what happened to all my willpower, and I think he really hit the nail on the head here.

I used to pack a few pieces of chocolate in my lunch every day. Just a few Dark Chocolate Pastilles - a tiny amount of carbs, but I had the taste of chocolate whenever I wanted. I'd go weeks without eating any, but as soon as that craving came back, I could nip it in the bud.

Since I started my new job in January, I've stopped having chocolate on hand. Now, when I do get chocolate, it is so much harder to resist. I think it's time to start a chocolate stash at work again.

It's amazing how easy it is to forget a lesson once you've learned it. Having small amounts of stuff -often- works for me. If I know I can have a couple bites of chocolate every day, then I don't even look at the chocolate bar rack. If I can steal a few fries from my coworkers every few days, then I can walk by New York Fries without a blink.

Today we got cheese bread (one of my personal irresistibles) in the work grocery delivery. I had a slice. Soooooo tasty! But I was able to resist the second. I'll have it tomorrow. It's so much easier to put something off than to deny it altogether. After all, it's not saying "NEVER" it's just saying "Patience".

I must remember this rule!

No comments: