Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Holy Grail

Okay, right, a cure is the real holy grail. But a cure is going to take time, and money, and skill, and probably a zillion more mice. They're getting really good at curing mice these days.

But for my day to day life? The holy grail is blood sugar testing without blood. No pricks. No way to skip out of tests because I 'forgot' my meter or I'm nearly out of strips. No stopping what I'm doing to go to the washroom to test - in case someone in the office doesn't like seeing blood. Fingers than don't get sore. Of course, I'd like some consistency and predictability, and an A1C that always matches what my meter's telling me too.

But I'll settle (for now) for losing the blood. There's a new non-invasive blood measuring device I just read about, the Echo meter. Early tests are positive. It's the sort of thing I take with a grain of salt. Early tests new stuff always seems positive, or it would never make the news. And then there's the whole "We need millions more dollar to develop this" gotcha.

If I ever win the lottery, I'm donating to this kind of research. Devices and technology that improve our day to day. Yes, we need a cure. But we also need quality of life.

1 comment:

k2 said...

U call it the Holy Grail, I call it achieving "blood Sugar Nirvana." Either or, it's what we need to do to survive!
k2