Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Diabetes Alert Day

Today is Diabetes Alert Day. I didn't know this until I saw it someone's blog, but then I'm generally unaware of diabetes-related awareness events.

I'm really not sure what you're supposed to do on them. I'm fairly open about my diabetes at work. More in a 'I really shouldn't be eating this chocolate bunny you brought in, but I have no willpower' sort of way, but I'm not in the closet over it. I'll answer questions if they come up, or include diabetes related stuff in my daily ramblings and rantings.

But to me it seems the height of rudeness to say to someone 'Hey, have you been tested?'. I mean, to me ones medical issues (or lack thereof) are a personal topic. If you wish to share, fine, but I'm not one for seeking them out.

At the same time, I do understand the need for testing. I wish I'd gotten my diagnosis ten years ago. I remember reading one of those 'these symptoms could mean diabetes' billboards years before I'd gotten tested. I never asked for a couple of reasons - I didn't know at that point that there was a history of diabetes in my family. I was overweight and sendtary, but I was young and didn't smoke, so I felt I wasn't really at risk. Also, I didn't want to seem like a hypochondriac asking my doctor if I maybe had a disease when I felt healthy for the most part, and did have some real medical issues.

It's very uncomfortable to me to go to a doctor and start suggesting what could be wrong. Especially if there are no "symptoms". I notice now that post-carb icky feeling, but I had to learn to pay attention to it, and to associate it with food.

So, in the interest of promoting awareness, here's my advice. If there is a history of diabetes in your family, make sure everyone knows. Your siblings, your kids, nieces, nephews, grandkids, aunts.. everyone.

Second, talk to your doctor, especially if you're in Canada and there isn't a barrier to getting tests done if you do have some risk factors. There's value in knowing you DON'T have it, and if you do, the sooner you know, the better.

No comments: