Saturday, March 29, 2008

Giving It Up: Smoking vs Carbs

One of my coworkers gave up smoking a few months back. He's been really happy with it, really proud of the accomplishment. In the past few days though, he's started to fall off the wagon. I've been ragging him for it - after all, doesn't he know how bad that is! Which is silly, of course he does, but I can't help feel like I should do something to 'help'.

It took a while, but it finally clicked today. There's another coworker who, now and then, tries to gently point out that maybe I shouldn't eat something. I tend to get a bit annoyed but try not to show it. I'm making my own choices.

It took a while for me to see it was the same thing. After all, that next smoke isn't going to be the one to start cancer growing any more than that next helping of fries is going to put my pancreas out of commission. It'd be lovely to have a readout somewhere, letting me know that I've got so many hours of high blood sugar before I do irreparable damage. But it's impossible to know how much damage is being done - especially if you can't (or don't) test after every meal.

It's so easy to say, okay, this splurge can't do that much harm. Just like I'm sure my coworker figures just one smoke won't hurt him. I don' t know so much what to do about it. I'm still trying to sort out my own balance.

But I guess I'll try to bug my coworker a little less about his choices.

2 comments:

Jonah said...

Saying nothing probably is better than criticism, just like with food habits, but maybe there's something more supportive to be said. I dunno, maybe you could ask if there's something supportive you could say or do.

Laura Williams said...

Well, I think the most supportive thing I can do right now is just listen without the commentary.