Sunday, July 13, 2008

Diabetes is my Leprechaun

Dealing with Leprechauns is deceptively simple, in all the stories: you stare at them and they can't get away, and you end up getting their pot of gold.

For me, keeping good diabetes habits is the same way. I focus on them, integrate them into my life, keeping my eye on the diabetes pot of gold - a future without complications.

Then it seems like I blink and it's all scurrying away. My habits turn into mirror images - snacking on carbs instead of avoiding them, and I wonder if those gold coins are slipping through my fingers.

This is less a frustration rant, and more an acceptance that it's time to reel myself in again, and reach for a plate of cheese instead of a granola bar. Maybe I should cut my cheddar into little circles to remind me why it's so important...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I go through the same phases, Laura. Lately, there have been a lot more baby carrots and broccoli in my life than cookies and potato chips.

But as long as my sugars are reasonably under control, I try not to beat myself up for enjoying some ice cream once in a while. ;^)

The Patients Voice said...

Hi

We have just launched a test version of a new site which you might find of interest

Please go to

http://www.icarecafe.com/?page_id=4&cat_id=2&thread_id=1&post_type=5&group_id=2

Thanks

Belinda

Emily Kujat said...

Hi Laura, my name is Emily Kujat and I am an Event Coordinator for the Alberta Diabetes Foundation. I do not know if you have heard of the organization or not, but we raise funds for diabetes research. We are originally based out of Edmonton, but as of this fall, I will be opening a new office in Calgary! I was reading your blog today and I just wanted share the news with you, in the hopes that you might post it on your blog to share with other individuals living with diabetes.

Emily Kujat said...

Hi Laura, I don't blog, so I didn't know how else to leave you a note. I work for the Alberta Diabetes Foundation- I just opened our first Calgary office this summer. This October we are holding our annual Halloween Howl Run and Walk out of Eau Claire Market. I would love to send you some info on the event and the foundation if you are interested; as well as anyone else you know who might want to know a bit more about us and our race. Please feel free to email me, emily@afdr.ab.ca

I would love to hear from you. Thanks!

Kind Regards,

Emily Kujat

Medical Billing Software said...

It is hard to bee on a strict diet and restriction all the time.Therefore a little slide away from the routine is not that bad...cheer up and hold back the reigns again then soon.

Anne said...

This is a great comparison and extremely entertaining post!

I was wondering if you would you be interested in sharing your articles with other like- minded individuals to educate, inform and converse with those living with Diabetes.

We are building an online community containing links to informative articles about the issues around Diabetes.

If you are interested and want to learn more about this, please send an email to info@atomicreach.com

Thanks,
Anne